Perhaps you have searched high and low for the most effective form of exercise for you, only to come up short. With the large number of fitness programs and trends made available, you may be searching for years until you find something that truly works for you. In the days of long and boring cardio sessions, why not skip the boredom and give metabolic resistance training a try?
Numerous studies have found that metabolic resistance training to be one of the most effective training techniques for those looking to shed fat. This training style, also known as MRT, consists of fast-paced weight-training circuits sequenced so that muscles are worked in an alternating patterns — an upper-body exercise will be followed by a lower-body exercise and so on. When you use circuits to train with an elevated heart rate without much recovery, you are doing metabolic resistance training. Think a lot of work at one time without a lot of rest in between sets.
Studies show that combining a healthy eating plan with MRT yields nearly 20 percent more fat loss than diet and aerobic exercise and nearly 30 percent more than those who decide only to eat healthy. All the more reason to try MRT, right?
To perform MRT, workouts should use a high time under tension of 45-60 seconds. Your training program should use relatively short resting periods. This is highly important increasing calorie expenditure and increasing your work load. What you need for fat loss:
1) An emphasis on building muscle, this doesn’t mean you have to bulk-up.
2) Hard work. Your muscles need to work hard in multiple movements and throughout multiple planes of motion.
3) Make muscles work fast and in a powerful fashion. This can increase the amount of calories you burn.
4) Make the metabolism work through short rest periods; this increases energy expenditure.
5) Make it non-traditional. Add in interval training of the entire body, which works more muscles and is more effective than traditional cardio.